Replenish: Third Weekend of the Sabbatical

This third sabbatical weekend has been full and fun! Saturday was party day!
The Hoffs all celebrated with Alexa Palacios as she joined the 2016 graduating class of Concordia University-Irvine. We are all so proud of Alexa!
Then we drove quick to La Habra to celebrate with dear Diane and Forrest Gaede as they celebrated the vows they made to one another a few months ago. We were blest to get to have Diane live with us for her senior year in High School, and to get to be a part of tons of fun Senior Year events. Diane wrote this sweet note on Joy's Facebook page for Mother's Day:
Diane married a sweet hard-working guy named Forrest, and we think they make a terrific couple. She also got some great in-laws in the Gaede's. Win-win!
Diane's mother-in-law said the "UP" decorations were Diane's idea. Cute!
Joy has never had breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. She even started a Facebook group years ago of pastor's wives who wanted to move Mother's Day to another day besides Sunday. We took full advantage of a free Mother's Day morning this sabbatical year. Joy is the real deal. I can't imagine a better mother for our kids. They respect her, and adore her!
Then we went to the 11am Confirmation Service at the Norwegian Seaman's Church to celebrate with Erlend Borgen as he confirmed his faith in Jesus Christ. Vibrant singing and joy! Great grace message from Sverre Tofte!
I can't let Mother's Day pass without giving thanks for my mom, Gail Hoff. This is one of my favorite pictures of her. I remember her wearing a bandana on her head occasionally, and always thought she was so cool and beautiful, and I still do! My mom made a home that allowed us to learn and laugh and grow and fail and succeed. She nurtured us. Happy Mother's Day, mom!
This weekend also marked the close of an institution dear to Joy and I. It was another kind of mother, nurturing our love for the Gospel, mission, the Bible, community, and each other! I remember Pat Lelvis saying, "The Holy Spirit started LBI, and we have to be ready for the Holy Spirit to close it." I used to be so nostalgic, I thought she was wrong, but she wasn't. Now, I hope that we can regain the courageous apostolic spirit that casts away both nostalgia and compromise, and plants life giving communities that serve the Gospel! 
If you are looking for a solid Gospel-oriented Bible School experience, could I suggest the one I teach at regularly: Canadian Lutheran Bible Insitute http://clbi.edu/ 
Peace to you this week!

Comments

Popular Posts