Why i love this job

I heard about an episcopalian priest who got a call from his dear friends telling him that they had just had a baby. The priest was so excited, he told them he was coming to the hospital, even though he knew that visiting hours were already over. He put on his clerical collar, and went to the hospital. He walked confidently by the nurses' station and was stopped by the protective nurse. She said, "Hey, visiting hours are over." He turned around revealing his collar, and the nurse continued, "Oh, I thought you were a normal man."
People think my job is different, and I guess it is. I love it. I love being with God's people. Paul tells the Corinthian congregation, "This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God."
This week I had the honor to serve at the funeral service for Hazel, mother of our dear friend and bookkeeper, Lorraine. What an honor this family bestowed on me. Here are family and friends and neighbors who had been through thick and thin with each other and come from near and far. Then I show up, having the pleasure to meet Hazel one time, sing with her husband one time, pray with them one time. And I show up with something that they all need: the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love this job.
Then I had the honor to visit Michael, one of the coolest kids you'll meet. Family is walking with the Lord, they seem to love and respect each other, and one day in a freak accident, Michael's eye is severly damaged. I steward something that they need: the mysteries of God. "I don't know why these things happen, but I know Someone who does--and who will use this purposefully (Romans 5)." I love this job.
I have the honor to join with parents of confirmation-aged kids to keep the promises that some of them made at baptism. I get to share with these young ones the old old story, and watch them come alive with the application. I must deal with 'issues' that come up in class with active pre-teens. I'm not just a minister to these kids' folks. I'm a minister to them. I need to find away to steward the mysteries of God, and speak it and show it in a way that will engage a 5th grader. I love this job.
I have the honor to wake up same time as 12 other men this morning and quietly gather in the prayer chapel at Trinity to chew on the word of God in silence (this morning: Luke 1.46-55), pray for each other's needs, and receive the promises of God in the Lord's Supper. Then breakfast at the Pancake and Waffle House on Gaffey! Then word and prayer and communion with the school staff. Then a meeting about how to give away more money from the church budget. Then word and prayer and communion with the women. I love being a servant of Christ and a steward of the mysteries of God. I love my job.

Comments

Popular Posts