Why i love this job (part 2)


Ancient-Modern
I love the church. I love how old it is. I love how relevant it is. I love ancient songs and words. I love new ways of singing and saying the same.
You can't beat the old Kyrie eleison as a relevant cry of the post-modern heart. It came in very handy when we thought our newborn wasn't living. Speaking of post-modernity... Modernity is so proud. I say "is" because so much of its thinking still poisons our culture. Its as if our whole history centers around this unprecedented ego era. Most Christians are terrified by the vacuum of truth in post-modernity. I think a vacuum of truth is preferrable to most of the culture believing a lie or even a half-truth. Good book: truth is stranger than it used to be: biblical faith in a postmodern age (J. Richard Middleton & Brian J. Walsh, IVP 1995).
Anyway, back to why I love this job. I love that I get to say the same things as my pastor dad did/does, Hans Neilsen Hauge did, Dr Luther did, St Paul did, Jesus did, the prophets did, the judges did, Moses did. I love that I have to figure out a way to incarnate those words for a new generation. I love that Trinity congregation in San Pedro, CA AD 2005 need the same thing as the Corinthian or Galatian or Philippian congregation of the 1st Century. I love that I am being taught vision and leadership by Nehemiah. I love that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Comments

Popular Posts