In Honor of Herb Hoff on His Birthday

After reflecting on 5 of my 10 pastoral care teachers,
Father Brown
Papa Joe Johnson
Jim Kok
Bill Bartlett
Marvin,
on this actual day of my father's birth (January 26, 1950), I would like to take a break and reflect on him. I'm really glad he was born!

Here are a couple forming memories.
1. Nightly prayer and blessing. My parents were so consistent in praying and blessing us kids every night, up to the time we left home. The most repeated blessing included a hand on the head, the sign of the cross, and these words, "Almighty and merciful God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit bless and keep you." The most commonly sung hymn in our home was Carolina Sandell's, Children of the Heavenly Father.


The image of God communicated to us through our parents was the image Jesus taught and demonstrated in the gospels.
2. Receiving Ministry. I remember one time sitting in the pews at Brooklyn Park Lutheran Church and watching my mom and dad receiving prayer ministry. I don't know what it was for, but I remember tears in my dad's eyes as he received what the Father was giving him. This made an impact on me, and probably freed me to be more authentic.
3. Giving Absolution. I remember being heavily burdened by something careless I said in Peterson, MN, and I went to my mom and she faithfully spoke absolution to me. But in later there was something I had to get off my chest. I couldn't sleep another night until it was gone. My dad heard my confession and spoke God's freeing word which helped me fall more in love with Jesus.
Many dads put heavy weights on their kids that become unbearable (exasperating?). My dad took unbearable weight off of me. I'm really grateful for that and for him. Dad, Thanks for introducing me to Abba.


Comments

Popular Posts