10 Pastoral Care Teachers in Honor of Herb Hoff's Birthday: Fr Joe and Br Martin

"One Little WORD can fell him"
9th Teachers: Fr Joe and Br Martin
Father Joe taught me the importance of confession. My own.

“Pastor, can I set up a time for confession?” No one had ever asked me that before. I knew there was something about that in the Small Catechism, but thought that was more of the museum part of our heritage. They came and emptied their heavy heart and let go of their burden, but filled mine when I picked it up. It happened a few more times, until I knew I needed help with being a healthy confessor. Who better to talk to than the Catholic priest in town. He must be an expert at this stuff.

Father Joe gave me terrific advise something like, “You can’t receive confessions without making confession yourself. You wouldn’t give communion or sermons without also taking communion and listening to God’s word. Bring your burden to Jesus.” So I did, and I have ever since. Now my burden, and any burdens I overhear, all go to the same place. They go to the wounds of Jesus where healing and reconciliation are won. My forgiveness and all forgiveness come from the mouth of Jesus. 
"The uneasy soul often assumes the problem lies in external circumstances; the trust is usually closer to home. The heart is desperately wicked above all things." (Jeremiah 17.9). While the faithful shepherd of souls listens patiently to a litany of unsettling circumstances, he is ever alert to signals which betray the unique temptations of the situation which war against the soul. Issues of idolatry, false belief, despair, and other great shame and vice are the true enemies of the soul. These must be disclosed if the soul is to find health or healing..."Like all addicts, sinners assume they need their sins in order to live." (Harold L. Senkbeil, "The Art of Spiritual Evaluation: A Framework for Understanding the Health of the Soul and Its Cure." Christ's Gifts for Healing the Soul: Toward a Lutheran Identity in the New Millenium, 2001).

Brother Martin taught me a good form for confession that led to the finished work of Jesus on by behalf.
Brief form of confession 
Penitent [P]: “Dear [Brother or Sister], please hear my confession and declare that my sins are forgiven for God’s sake. 
Confessor [C] “Proceed.” 
[P] “I, a poor sinner, confess before God that I am guilty of all sins. In particular I confess in your presence that, … (confession)
For all this I am sorry and pray for grace. I mean to do better.

[C]  “God be merciful to you and strengthen your faith. Amen.  Do you believe that this forgiveness is the forgiveness of God?” 
[P]  “Yes, I do. 
[C]  “Be it done for you as you have believed. According to the command of our Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Go in peace.” 
(A confessor will know additional passages of the Scriptures with which to comfort and to strengthen the faith of those whose consciences are heavily burdened or who are distressed and sorely tried.)  From Martin Luther’s Small Catechism

Now my favorite words in the world to say, are my favorite words to hear:

“Be it done for you as you have believed. According to the command of our Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Go in peace.”

Comments

Popular Posts