This week we are praying for old animosities to be removed:

Monday: Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
“God forgives freely and without condition, out of pure grace, because He has so promised, as the Gospel teaches. But God says this (“as we forgive”) in order that He may establish forgiveness as our confirmation and assurance, as a sign alongside of the promise, which agrees with this prayer in Luke 6.37, “Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” Therefore, Christ also repeats it soon after the Lord’s Prayer, and says in Matthew 6.14, “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,” and so on.”
Large Catechism on the 6th Petition of the Lord’s Prayer.

Lord, You have forgiven me freely and without condition. So convince me of it today, that I may freely and fully forgive others as a sign of your miracle of grace in me. Through Jesus Christ, Amen.

Special focus: removal of personal and family animosities

Tuesday: Eph 4 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

In his excellent book, Total Forgiveness (Charisma House), RT Kendall writes, “It is also my experience that the quickest way I seem to lose inner peace is when I allow bitterness to reenter my heart. It’s not worth it! I made a decision for inner peace. But I found that I had to carry out that decision by a daily commitment to forgive those who hurt me, and to forgive them totally…Having been on both sides, I can tell you: The peace is better. The bitterness isn’t worth it.”

Father, some days I feel strong to choose freedom through forgiveness, but other days, I am helpless over my bitterness—it consumes me. Holy Spirit, I receive you again, for you do not abide near bitterness for it grieves You so. Fill me so, that bitterness has no room. Through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Special focus: removal of inner-congregational animosities.

Comments

Popular Posts