Why I Appreciate Trinity #7: Purposeful Pylons


Appreciation #7. Purposeful pylons
When I came to Trinity in October 2005, former pastor Larry Christenson told me that Trinity was like a pier reaching out into the ocean with two strong and distinct pylons plunging deep into the ocean floor. They could be described as the Reformation pylon and the Renewal pier. They are not in competition, but a part of the way the Master Builder constructed Trinity.

The Reformation pylon sings A Mighty Fortress is our God. Trinity has been a place where the Word of God is authoritative over anything else (norma normans). That Word reveals our desperate neediness and God’s rich provision through the gift of his Son (law and promise). The heartbeat of that Word is the message of Jesus, crucified and risen “for you for the forgiveness of sins” (Gospel). That word along with the sacraments are the means that God uses to deliver this precious gift. I am thankful that a priority (to you and me) when I came was the reinstitution of catechesis of the young and confirmation. This last Sunday, as those four were confirmed, I noticed that the ushers and worship team at the 8:30 AM and 10 AM services were previous confirmands living into their vows. This year I reaped the benefit of 4 kids who had been involved in the Stepping Stones of faith for the years leading up to catechism/Confirmation. They were ready. Trinity, I love that you have not distanced yourself from your heritage, but have honored your father and mother and are reaping the blessing that comes with that commandment.

The renewal pylon sings Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me. Pastor Christenson was the editor and author of much of the book, Welcome Holy Spirit (Augsburg). Trinity, that title could describe your attitude. The Holy Spirit is not unmentionable or feared or treated any more cautiously than the Father or the Son. “Holy Spirit, you are welcome here!” I love the way we are always learning about the person and work of the Holy Spirit. I love the way we correct what is ‘off’ when our practice strays from the Scriptures. The Sunday morning time of Overflow has been a wonderful school of the Spirit, and hospital for healing body and soul, and a safe place to practice responsible prophetic ministry.

Trinity, I’d pick Reformation and Renewal as the pier’s pylons and destination over a Ruby’s Diner.

Comments

Popular Posts