Why I Appreciate Trinity #12: Office & Person


#12. Office - Person
In this final thanksgiving, I’d like to get a little more personal. I received a Call, by vote of the Trinity congregation over 12 years ago. I took some time to pray, reflect with Joy and the elders at Solid Rock Free Lutheran in Anoka, MN, as well as Pastor Paul Anderson. I was meeting with Paul once-a-month for mentoring in his basement along with a few other younger leaders. He was helpful in the discernment process as he knows and loves Trinity (REALLY LOVES TRINITY), and as he knows and loves me and Joy. Nothing was black and white in our “yes.” It required faith. I was excited and fearful. Sometimes the weight of the heritage struck terror in my heart. What if I mess this up? Looking back, my blindnesses were many. Maybe God kept me from seeing everything as it was, so the added fears wouldn’t be crippling. I don’t know. I remember thinking that my primary job was to steward a past move. Keep the move of the Spirit moving. Don’t disappoint people. How foolish! Trinity, we weren’t in need of maintenance. We needed Gospel renewal and a revitalization of our mission. We needed the Holy Spirit. Again. And again. And again! We always do!

I heard that because of his respect for the office, President Reagan didn’t enter the Oval Office without a necktie. I don’t have that track record, as I sit here in Trinity’s pastor’s study in my jeans and golf shirt. But, I do feel a great respect for the office I currently hold. I recognize that it is not mine to do with what I want. It is a stewardship from the Head of the Church, and the true Head of Trinity. He has the freedom to do with this office as he pleases. He can place and he can replace. Trinity, I have my own ideas and visions, and each of you have your own ideas and visions, but ultimately I must answer the the Lord of the Church. The thought of this sobers me. I get the feeling that many of you understand this too. There are times we walk together in agreement and times we walk together in disagreement about this or that. Yet, you still come and hear the Gospel. You know that the efficacy of the ministry is not contingent on your agreement with the minister. God will deliver his unfailing grace through his very fallible man.

You respect the office of pastor, and receive grace through the office of ministry that I currently hold, but you give grace to me as the person who holds it. You do this by forgiving me. You do this by loving my wife and kids. You do this in many kindnesses spread throughout the year, not just pastors appreciation month.

Beloved Trinity, thank you for the honor of being your pastor. Cheers for the last 12 years, and for however long God grants us the honor to walk together. May he continue to endow us with his presence and his power. May he grant us the sweet gift of authentic unity. May he give us his love for one another. May he give us his heart to welcome home the lost. May he give us wisdom to steward the generous resources he has given to us. There are good days ahead!

Comments

Unknown said…
O Pastor! My Pastor!

Popular Posts