Replenish: Prince of Peace Abbey

On Monday I drove down to Oceanside for a few days at Prince of Peace Abbey.
http://princeofpeaceabbey.blogspot.com/  
I couldn't get in until after lunch because they had just hosted a sizable group over the weekend, so I *had to have lunch at Pedro's Tacos.

Joy texted me this picture...
...which was her way of saying, "I thought you were going to "pray" at a monastery?"
Pax and Ora et Labora are the Benedictine buzz words, and I was looking forward to Peace and Prayer and Work.

Prayer (Ora) is the monk's main work (Labora). 5:30am Vigils (I didn't go once), 7am Lauds, 11am Mass, 5pm Vespers, and 8pm Compline. Their prayer is composed nearly completely of entering into the Psalms, and they have learned God's vocabulary, grammar, passion, grief, wrestling, joy, relief by letting the Psalter be their parent, teaching them how to talk (or in their case, sing!). I joined them for all the offices except Vigils. I also went to Mass, but didn't receive the sacrament because of their clearly stated policy. When I go to a house where I am unable to receive the sacrament of Holy Communion, I find a close communion with Jesus, my great high priest, who I know is praying (and I am joining him), "that they may be one, even as we are one." (John 17.11). I have an ache for that day, and I have a Lord who shares that ache.

Three things I want to learn from the monks.
1. Slow Prayer. What's the rush? Because something is important or even urgent doesn't mean it has to be rushed. "Slow down, you move too fast." Along with that, coming up with your own words is overrated. Entering into God's Word, especially the Psalms, allows the Lord to teach us to pray. How can I slow down prayer? Our family is fast. Trinity is fast. Southern California is fast. Internet is fast. Food is fast. How can prayer be slow? Comments? Crickets...? Really, I want to know! Anyone got this (besides people who have vowed celibacy and poverty)?
2. Slow Work. They walk slow. They bow a lot. They pause and make the sign of the cross a lot. They linger. Their pace is dictated by adoration and a recognition that God is present. Probably the most common greeting I hear is, "Hi pastor, I know you are busy, but..." Sad face. Please forgive me for rushing around acting so important and deriving far too much identity from my busyness. I want to give people the impression that they are significant to me and to God, and they are worth the time!
3. Fast Hospitality. They didn't wow me with a welcome party (they allow you to quietly enter in). They didn't wow me with gourmet food (it was VERY simple). But they were quick to serve, quick to respond.

Besides prayer, my work at Prince of Peace included reading half of Eugene Peterson's Five Smooth Stones for pastoral work. I'll post quotes in another post for those interested. Talk about slow! Just try reading that book fast. It is going to be a miracle to get through his pastor books before this sabbatical is done. I also have been transcribing quotes and sermon notes into my new ESV Interleaved Edition. It has been cathartic going over past messages and the memories connected to them.
My own prayer has continued to follow the Bible Project, and really enjoyed this video introducing the second half of Isaiah.

Finally, what a sweet homecoming! I am grateful that my vocation after "Child of God" is "husband to beautiful Joy" and "father to Christian, Annika, Samuel, and Peter." I missed them. I am also glad that my vocation includes "pastor to Trinity." I miss you too!

Comments

Popular Posts