Q & A with Nathan

We had our first Q & A with Nathan this past Sunday. After the benediction and pouring ourselves a cup of coffee we met back in the Trinity Sanctuary for 45 minutes of discussion. It left me wanting more. We will certainly do it again.
The questions on Sunday were terrific. They had to do with the Creeds and Eschatology.
1. How do we pick whether to say the Nicene or Apostles’ Creed each Sunday? I explained what rubrics are, and then opened the hymnal to show the rubric about saying which creed, and couldn’t find it. I found it later in Evangelical Lutheran Worship (cranberry hymnal published by Augsburg Fortress). Oh well. Generally speaking, we use the Apostles’ Creed for baptismal/initiation focused Sundays and more ‘ordinary’ Sundays, and we use the Nicene Creed for more festival seasons and days.
2. Can we say the Creed slower? This reminded me of Barb Goble (of blessed memory) who always wanted us to pray the Lord’s Prayer more deliberately and slowly. I’ve tried to slow it down over the years. We should try it with the Creed too!
3. What do you believe about the signs of the times and Biblical prophecy? This terrific question and related questions would have been more terror than terrific to me for much of my tenure at Trinity. I used to be very nervous that people would ask about the end times. Why? Not because I was afraid to answer, but because I was afraid of disappointing (or worse) people. I am type 9 (peace-maker/reconciler) on the enneagram and when I’m living insecurely, I will do just about anything to maintain peace. Engaging with God’s word has made me more confident and clear about my call to speak about the coming of the Lord. “But we do not want you to be uninformed...about those who are asleep.” And, “Therefore, encourage one another with these words.” (1 Thessalonians 4.11,18). We went over the pertinent passages from 1 Thessalonians, from Jesus’ teaching in Matthew  24, and a general overview of the Book of Revelation. We covered the major teachings on the millenium. I gave my view, but added that there was and is a variety of beliefs on this teaching at Trinity, and that it wasn’t, as Ro called it, a “spine” issue, but more a “rib” issue. I have teachings on this from the past on our podcast, and even on this blog if you search “end.” There are many good teachers in all of the different schools of eschatological thought. Sam Storms has done a fine job of describing his journey from a pre-millennial view to an amillennial view: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/why-i-changed-my-mind-about-the-millennium/
The next Q & A with Nathan will be towards the end of January. I hope you can join us. Submit a question in the comments of this blog or email nathan@trinitysanpedro.org if you would like. Jesus’ peace this week!
Nathan

Comments

Popular Posts