Why I Appreciate Trinity Reason 2: Flexibility - Inflexibility (3/13)

Dynamic Reason #2.  Inflexibility - Flexibility
I heard about a bishop who said to a group of pastors, “Teach whatever you want, but PLEASE wear black shoes. I have more people calling my office to complain that their pastor wears shoes that aren’t black.” Really? What a classic example of confusing what is flexible and inflexible. 

96 year olds (born August 11, 1921) are not typically known for their flexibility. But, Trinity, you are limber! It is a great blessing to share a common understanding of adiaphora with you. There is great freedom and flexibility in those matters that are neither commanded nor forbidden by the Scriptures. Amount of water in baptism, what the pastor wears, what century the music is from, what room we meet in, open hearted toward new initiatives, willingness to end something that is no longer as effective, willingness to give up “my pew”, willingness to give space to young leaders, all examples of your flexibility. I’m grateful that you are flexible with me. You have given me permission to morph my job description as needs change. You have also given me permission for mission beyond Trinity. Serving on the board of Lutheran Renewal then Courage Worldwide, or as the Regional Pastor for our AALC, or teaching at Canadian Lutheran Bible Institute, conferences, and of course Tanzania! Thank you for your flexibility with me!

You are also blessedly inflexible! In a world that is morally and ethically flexible, you are strong. In an American church that is doctrinally confused, you are blessedly inflexible. You wouldn’t tolerate teaching that questions the authority of God’s Word. You would rather wrestle with revelation than create your own religion that suits you. You wouldn’t put up with suggestions that erode the faith that has been passed down to us. You treat the Lord’s Supper as an actual communion with the crucified and risen Lord. You don’t mean to treat the sacred as profane (blasphemy), nor do you mean to treat the profane as sacred (idolatry). 


Trinity, I love your blessed flexibility and your blessed inflexibility.

Comments

Popular Posts