Surprise Me!

Surprise me!

Have you ever prayed that as a two word prayer? My two word prayers are usually "Help me", "Bless me", "Forgive me, and "Give me".

The thought of praying "Surprise me" had never occurred to me before this morning. I saw the "tweet" posted by Mark Batterson on Twitter. He posted:
"Surprise me. That is my two-word prayer to God today. We get so locked into our assumptions and expectations. Surprise me."
I was also remembering this morning my brother Roy. Six years ago today he lost his fight with cancer and died but continued his eternal life with Jesus. He used to call me to come to his shop on a Saturday morning to "help" him with something he was trying to do on his computers but it was also to spend time together. The phone conversation would usually end with "What time? Want to meet for breakfast?" And the and the answer was usually "Yes". It was at one of these "meet for breakfast" that I as I was looking at the menu when the waitress walked up and greeted Roy by name that I heard him say "Surprise me". I looked up, kind of surprised myself. I was waiting to hear what he was ordering before finalizing my decision. Now he went and spoiled my plan with "Surprise me". I ordered oatmeal. He told me that he ate there most every morning and they knew him, what he would order, what he liked, and that he trusted them to try to please him. I got oatmeal. He got eggs over medium, bacon, and whole wheat toast.

This morning I was thinking, why haven't I ever prayed "Surprise me". He certainly knows me. He knows what I like. He knows what I don't like. He knows what I fear. He knows my limits. He knows what I think my limits are. He knows where I am comfortable. He knows where I need to be stretched. He knows where I am soft. He knows where I am hard. He knows my hunger. He knows my thirst. He knows me.

The closest we sometimes get to "Surprise me" in the church is a potluck. But then we often play that safe by organizing it so get ample choices of salids, hot dishes, and deserts.

So my prayer today is "Surprise me". It is not original, thanks Mark Batterson for the idea, but it is a first for me today.

How about you? Have you prayed "Surprise me"? What is your two word prayer?


Comments

Nathan Hoff said…
My most common 2-word prayer comes from Joy's grandmother June Fawell, "Whatever Lord." It comes in so handy.

Popular Posts