Thoughts on the Reversal of Roe

The Visitation, James B. Janknegt, 2008
How am I reacting to the Roe’s reversal? 

First, a full disclosure. I have not been a casual observer to this issue. From early, I have been involved in peaceful protest and prayerful witness on behalf of the unborn. My voting record has prioritized justice for the unborn. The parish I serve, along with a handful of Roman Catholic parishes are the regular financial and ‘show-up' support for our closest home for unwed mothers. I have conceived of my pro-life commitment in a comprehensive way. For me, pro-life means advocating for the unborn AND giving blood, fostering two daughters, joining the local and global resistance against human trafficking, pastorally walking with young women made more vulnerable by shame, poverty, or other kinds of desperation. Personally, my convictions have grown to include an opposition to the death penalty, support for reasonable gun laws, and wise but generous policy about immigration and refugees. 


In my long involvement, I have also grown in understanding and sympathy for women facing this horrendous, and often lonely, choice. Sure, you see some public figures celebrating their abortion, but most women I have known in crisis feel a profound dilemma. Those who chose to terminate their pregnancy often carry a heavy grief and guilt. It has been a precious experience to see Christian community welcome those with shame and to experience the power of absolution wash away guilt. The Christian community is not made up of saints who are gracious to include sinners. The Christian community is only made up of sinners. Every one of them—me foremost! Sinners whom God has freely forgiven for Jesus’ sake. 


So, how am I reacting to this ruling?


I don’t feel like, “we won.” Winning is partisan power language. I didn’t hold this conviction because of my affiliation with a political party. Usually the comprehensiveness of my conviction has put me at odds with party, and usually with both major parties. Framing this as a partisan win will not position us for redemptive conversations that help make abortion unthinkable. The partisan winner-loser paradigm is far less constructive than the Kingdom paradigm that is radically pro-woman AND pro-unborn.


I feel like this ruling is more in alignment with the most basic human right that comes from God—LIFE. The imago Dei—the image of God—is not diminished because of the age or stage, the size or shape, the race or gender, the ability or disability, the viability, possibility for productivity, the potential success or suffering of the human being. The psalmist prayerfully praises the Maker who “formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” (Psalm 139). The most persuasive biblical revelation in this regard is the incarnation of God in Jesus Christ. God didn’t identify with humanity from the point of viability, but vulnerability. He identified with the human experience from day one in the womb all the way to his three days in the tomb. He brought heaven’s redemption to the full spectrum of our experience. The church celebrates Christmas on December 25th and the Annunciation on March 25th. The angel told Mary that God was at work months before she gave birth. Mary’s could be described as a crisis pregnancy. Shame? Resources? How? In the midst of the crisis was a promise, “For nothing will be impossible with God.” (Luke 1.37).


I also feel like this ruling is more in alignment with our pledge: with liberty and justice for all. I agree with Condoleezza Rice who describes the American creed as “aspirational.” There are sure and certain setbacks, but our common goal is to arc toward liberty and justice for all. The voiceless and voteless have been particularly unheard and unrepresented in our form of government. For us to be who we really are, that had and has to be addressed. Hence, the 15th Amendment and the 19th Amendment and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, amongst many other rulings that didn’t give rights and voice to others, but recognized rights that were not the powerful’s to restrain. 


I rejoice that the most vulnerable members of our human race have advocates who speak when they can not yet be heard. I am grateful for those who recognize the shared humanity and inherent dignity of the unborn.


I still long for, and pray for the day when our culture that offers so many death-solutions will be awakened to the life-solutions of the kingdom of God. 


I pray that the lavish exertion of partisan energy will be redirected to lavish life-solutions. 


I pray that dads with partners who are pregnant will become full participants in provision and burden-bearing, and that the injustice of this being only a woman’s issue will be righted.


I pray that churches will become the safest place for pregnant mothers in crisis. Also that kids with any and every backstory, will be the most at home in Mother Church—the great house of God. https://trinitypastor.blogspot.com/2014/06/our-mother.html


I pray that as backlash and even threats or violence erupt, the church will practice turning the other cheek and enemy-love (xenophilia). These laws from God (Matthew 5.38-44) have not been reversed. It is time to practice this basic indication of discipleship. 


My basic prayer is the same today as it was yesterday: mercy, Lord.


Comments

Kerry said…
This! We’ll said, and grateful for words I cannot articulate! Mercy, Lord, and time for us to get to work!
ML said…
Your comments regarding the Dobbs decision was so tactful and much appreciated. Right to Life must be extended to all life. And we as Christians can’t be seen as bad winners. Thank you for your sensitivity.
Kenny Campbell said…
Well stated - thank you for this!

Popular Posts