Pastor Phil Luttio

Happy are those who trust in the Lord, who rely on the Lord. They will be like trees planted by the streams, whose roots reach down to the water. They won’t fear drought when it comes; their leaves will remain green. They won’t be stressed in the time of drought or fail to bear fruit. Jeremiah 17.7-8 (Common English Bible)


We received word this morning of Pastor Phil Luttio’s entrance into heaven last night. His loving family surrounded him last night as he passed, even as they cared for him so well during these last seasons. Well done Phil and well done Luttio’s! They will have more news and reflections, but I wanted to write a few of my own.


Happy at Suomi

If I remember right, Pastor Phil was half Finnish and half Norwegian, ethnicities sometimes associated with stoicism and restraint. Phil was neither stoic nor restrained. His first year of college was in the cold Upper Peninsula of Michigan at Suomi College (now called Finlandia University). Joyful Phil Luttio joined their ranks but felt the suspicion coming his way early on. He said, “My happiness made them suspicious of the seriousness of my repentance.” I don’t think I know or knew anyone who more profoundly believed in the goodness of the good news of Jesus Christ. The gospel wasn’t a theological concept or a doctrine to defend, but life itself—abundant and eternal. Many Lutherans have an orthodox view of the gospel, but you wouldn’t know it by their grouchy polemics. I like to say that Lutherans have a terrific confession of the gospel, but they need to evangelize their faces. Not Phil. He was happy in Jesus. He is happier now!


Singing Together

Margaret had heard about Phil from their common association at Oak Knoll Lutheran in the western suburbs of Minneapolis. They found themselves in a car full of talkative young adults one evening. Finally, there was a lull in the conversation, and out of nowhere, Phil and Margaret started singing the same hymn in the same key, but in harmony with one another. Could there be a better metaphor for their relationship, their common mission, their destiny as the Singing Luttio’s! Their marriage might have done more than a book could in mentoring husbands and wives. They kept on singing the same song, in the same key, in harmony!

Our First Meeting

I first met Pr Phil and Margaret at the Lutheran Bible Institute in Seattle in 1994. Pat Lelvis had arranged for them to be Missionaries-in-Residence, teaching a few classes and living among the students for a semester. We loved living with them. They taught the course on Evangelism, and one of my best friends, Steven Ose found the assurance of salvation in that class. Steve and his wife Robin have gone on to become long-term missionaries with CRU (formerly Campus Crusade). 



Ash Wednesday

When I first came to Trinity, Pastor Phil and Margaret were vital and very involved in many ministries. They were faithful to help with visitation and care. Pastor Phil helped cover various aspects of pastoral ministry at Trinity. As they slowed down some, there were still opportunities for them to serve, which they did joyfully! A few years ago, I asked Pastor Phil to help me with the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday. He joyfully agreed. I had my station and he had his. Usually, that service is tender, as you are at close range to people and even touch their forehead with ashes and speak a brief word about their mortality. “From dust you came, and to dust you shall return. Apart from Christ, you can do nothing.” It seemed like I had done this to about 174 people, and started to wonder how many had actually come to the service that night. After my line finally ran out, I turned and saw Pastor Phil with his arms around a weeping person. After applying ashes he began praying for the person and never stopped. I got to 174 people, and Pastor Phil got to 1. What a blessing for the one! 


Fraternizing with the enemy

It is amazing that Phil died on Pearl Harbor day, December 7. Others can tell you more about Phil the veteran, faithful in the service of our grateful nation. The war story I remember him telling was different than most war stories. He got himself in trouble while at war in the Pacific. His supervisor found him talking with Japanese prisoners from the other side of the barbed wire. They were talking about their families back at home. Phil got chastised, “YOU ARE FRATERNIZING WITH THE ENEMY!” He replied, “They are family men just like me.” The gospel actually did this in Phil and can do this with us. How else will the reconciliation God dreams about, take place. Fraternizing with the enemies is the strategy of the cross. God waging peace on all who are at war with him. You can read more about Phil’s story in the “Faith in Action” NIV Study Bible on the pages around 2 Corinthians 5. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.” Fraternizing with the enemies was the first step to a life long friendship with and devotion to the Japanese. 


Last Sunday’s first reading was from Isaiah 40. Comfort, comfort my people. Tell them that their war is over. Pearl Harbor Day 2020 was not the beginning of conflict, but for Pastor Phil Luttio, the end. Christ Jesus, the victor over sin, death, and the devil. Phil Luttio now shares in Jesus’ victory fully! Well done, happy-in-Jesus servant!

Comments

I had Pastor Phil sign the page in my“Faith in Action” NIV Study Bible.
How cool is it to have a Bible with an autograph of one of the people in it?
Not nearly as cool as spending time under his teaching, sharing in life, prayer and fellowship.
Helen said…
Tonight as I was getting ready to spend time with the Lord in prayer, I thought about Phil and Margaret Lutio. I decided to google them before I began to pray. To my surprise I saw this article about them. I met them 40 years ago in 1981 when I came to Japan as a young Christian Missionary. I was blessed to stay in their home and to meet their family, to fellowship with them and to minister in some of their services and even to minister to children in the public school there in Japan. I just learned today January 3, 2022 after reading your article that Phil has gone to be with Jesus Christ. Is there any way that I might be able to contact their family? I would love to speak to their children if possible. My precious husband also went to be with the Lord in December, 2020 2 days after Phil on the 9th. I am yet in the ministry and am now the mother of 8 children, 20 plus grandchildren and 20 plus great grands.

Popular Posts