How I plan to use my new pulpit freedom: on the Johnson Amendment

What I plan to do differently with my new pulpit freedom?

Nothing. This title could just as easily have been what I plan to do differently with legalized marijuana. Also, nothing.

President Trump has claimed that he has ended the Johnson Amendment. This is not all together true. He just directed the Treasury Department be lenient in the enforcing of the law. That is, to give space for nonprofits like churches to endorse candidates or to contribute to political campaigns. Here are a few theses on this so-called new pulpit freedom:
1.  If I didn’t say something I believed needed saying because of the Johnson Amendment or the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 which threatens your tax exemption, my conviction is cheaply bought. If the tax code is my highest authority then the pulpit is a pitiful place.

2. Having permission to keep your tax exempt status and endorse a candidate for a particular party does not mean it won’t do harm to your gospel witness. All things lawful are not beneficial. Same goes for legalized marijuana.

3. The precious first amendment is the freedom to speak, even prophetically, to those in authority and to fellow citizens. If that freedom ever eroded or is revoked we should still speak prophetically to those in authority and to our fellow citizens.

4. With or without IRS approval, or the fear of recrimination, I will seek to continue to speak the law of God as clearly as the scriptures speak. The scriptures are clear about God’s heart for the vulnerable, the unborn, the refugee, the trafficked, covenantal marriage, creation care, and the poor.

5. Most importantly, I am committed to communicating the gospel as the true treasure of the church, and the only hope for every person. If you are waiting for me to endorse a candidate or party because the Treasury Department has been told they should be more lenient in the enforcing of partisanship in pastor’s preaching, you might be waiting a long time. “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” - 1 Corinthians 2:2 (ESV).


If you really want to know how I’m going to vote, or what is motivating my political decisions, pull me aside or send me an email (preferably not my pastor email). I will take my collar off and be glad to tell you how I’m going to vote. After you hear my reasoning, you might be glad I didn’t use the pulpit for my political convictions.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you Pastor Nathan!

Popular Posts