What's the difference between a pastor and a missionary? (no joke)

The Trinity Elders set aside a morning a few months ago to discuss the following questions:
Do missionaries ask different questions than pastors? What are missionary questions?
What makes Trinity Trinity? Secret sauce?
What do you love about San Pedro/South Bay?

I want to give you a glimpse of some of the conversation.

First, “Do missionaries ask different questions than pastors? What are missionary questions?”

“What language do they speak?”
“Can I learn it? Who can teach it to me?”
“How can I sustain this call?”
“What do these people value?”
“What are their idols?”
“Who can I reach?”
“What resources are there?”
“How can they be reached?”
“What do I say?”
“What is their worldview different than mine?”
“How long will this take?”
“Not interested in buildings. Everything is catering to evangelism, not ingrown.”
“What is the right ratio of pastors to missionaries?”
“Are missionaries and pastors trying to reach the same goal?”
“How are the missionaries and pastors workfield different?”
“Do you know Jesus?”
“Can I lead you to greener grass?”
“Do I really love these people?”
“How does the gospel translate to this culture?”
“Who is the key leader for this group?”

Comments

Jenny said…
Very good stuff. Another question I asked before joining YWAM, and then after realising my main calling was to counselling: "Where can I get the best training possible in the world?"

Popular Posts