Pastor Herb's (DAD!) Retirement

You have maybe read the statistics on how pastoral tenures end. I won't post to them here, but sufficed to say, it isn't encouraging.

The family and I traveled up to Salinas, CA last weekend to celebrate the end of my father's pastoral tenure at St Ansgar's Lutheran Church. He has served as their pastor for the last 20 years and 3 months. We were there at his installation service which was about the time I started seminary. His installation was on or near Valentine's Day 1997. It was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. Joy's father, Luthor, and long-time friend of my parents preached at his installation service. In his sermon, Luthor used a blender to add ingredients to make a milkshake and used it to teach about the ingredients that go in to make for a great pastor-parish relationship. Herb and St. Ansgar's have enjoyed a great pastor-parish relationship. That is not what I will write about now. That is a story they should tell!
It was an honor to be asked to preach my dad's retirement sermon this last Sunday. One thing I wanted to express was gratitude to my dad and to St. Ansgar's for their devoted commitment to each other. Instead of a tragic end (like so many), or even a "whew, I'm glad that is over" end, this last weekend was a celebration, with some grief, and with a lot of joy and mutual honor. it was right! With so many reasons for concern for the church, we must celebrate what is worthy of celebration. Someone said we become what we celebrate. May it be so in this case!

Comments

Popular Posts