#andwerehoff Fröderyd (Lina Sandell) and Jönköping (Swedish Oase)

We are staying in a summer cabin in a campground on the shore of large lake Vättern (6th largest lake in Europe). It has comfortable modest little cabins, but the 6th worst mini-golf course in Europe. 12 holes of pure inspiration. But, I've never seen four happier kids. They loved it. I think they loved that it didn't include any historical markers, church interiors, graveyards, or museums. So, I ruined their fun, and said, "I want to go see a museum next to an important church." Here is the traditional windmill hole. It is missing 2 and a half arms, so it isn't as imposing as some windmill holes.
We drove past ruins. Everyone begged me to stop. Find Hoffs in the following pictures.
No stairs in this whole building.
Who needs stairs?
That isn't a statue. It is King Christian from the 21st Century.
Buddies
Love seat
We travelled a little over an hour south of Jönköping to Lina Sandell's birthplace. Sandell is the most important hymn writer in the Hoff and Nelson homes. It is something very dear that Joy and I share. The first solo I ever sang was "Children of the Heavenly Father" at my mother's aunt's graveside service at Fort Snelling Cemetary in Minneapolis, MN. It appears at every baptism and funeral, and was sung many nights in my home growing up, as well as in our home. I think it's theology most reflects my own. It has formed me, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Here was the entrance to the home where Lina was born, and grew up. It was belonged to the church her dad, Jonas Sandell, served for 29 years in the early to mid 19th Century. 
Lina sat under this now 300 year old ash tree and wrote the words to "Children of the Heavenly Father" and "Thy Holy Wings" among many other poems and lyrics. The best resource I have read is from my beloved teacher and gifted hymn writer and translator, Gracia Grindal, who wrote an engaging and informative book on Scandinavian women hymn writers called "Preaching From Home." I highly recommend it.
300 year old ash tree near the statue of Sandell.
Joy played Sandell hymns on the pump organ in the home, and Gospel loving Rosenius looked over it all approvingly!
On the opposite wall is a portrait of another Gospel-lover, and a map of the area. 
Lina's dad, Jonas, had become a sought after evangelical preacher, and had many invitations. Lina was his right hand. He even fashioned a small replica desk to sit next to his own, so Lina could help him. One day they were on their way across the lake we are staying on (Vattern), traveling to a ministry engagement, when Jonas fell overboard and died with Lina was unable to help. Her hymns take on a profound meaning when you sing them contextually:

Children of the heav’nly Father
Safely in His bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in Heaven
Such a refuge e’er was given.

God His own doth tend and nourish;
In His holy courts they flourish;
From all evil things He spares them;
In His mighty arms He bears them.

Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord His children sever;
Unto them His grace He showeth,
And their sorrows all He knoweth.

Though He giveth or He taketh,
God His children ne’er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy

A new church was built during the pastorate of Jonas Sandell which replaced an ancient (13th ct) building that was insufficient for the growing number of people who were attending. That church burned, and this one was built later. So this building is newer, but the ancient baptistery and crucifix remain. Lina was born across the street, and I'm guessing that she was baptized in this font below.

Thy holy wings, O Savior, spread gently over me, and let me rest securely through good and ill in thee. O, be my strength and portion, my rock and hiding place, and let my every moment be lived within thy grace. 

O, let me nestle near thee, within thy downybreast where I will sweet comfort and peace within thy nest. O, close thy wings around me and keep me safely there, for I am but a newborn and need thy tender care. 

O, wash me in the waters of Noah’s cleansing flood. Give me a willing spirit, a heart both clean and good. O, take into thy keeping thy children great and small, and while we sweetly slumber, enfold us one and all.

We made it back for the evening meeting at Swedish Oasis, which is meeting in a large arena in Jonkoping. My friend, Hans Weichbrodt, is a leader in the renewal movement in Sweden. He also teaches at the Canadian Lutheran Bible Institute in Alberta.
Sister Karin of Alsike kloster and the Sisters of the Holy Spirit, is an inspirational Lutheran nun who gets into trouble for following God's call to care for the weak and vulnerable who come to her door. They are located between Stockholm and Uppsala. Her story is worth searching and exploring. Here is the English section from their cloister's website: http://www.alsikekloster.org/english/english1.htm
I loved her vocation story. While she was an aspirant, she asked, "Isn't there someone better for this job (nun)." They said, "Yes, but they are not here--you are."

Comments

Popular Posts