Left/Right Values

These are the thoughts of Nathan only, and do not necessarily reflect the broader Trinity congregation.
Both political left and political right have core values. It is over simple to say, but I sum the core value of the left up to fairness and the core value of the right up to freedom. There is certainly something of the heart of God in both. I have been in Christian environments on both sides. Most congregations I have served have trended right, and the seminary from which I graduated trended left. I have heard both of these statements:
"How can that person be a Christian AND a Democrat (actually DFL)?"
"How can that person be a Christian AND a Republican?"
These are statements that betray equating political ideology with the Kingdom of God. Dear Christians, let us not become so captivated by a political ideology that we equate it with the Kingdom of God. Today, I see the sides lining up already over the issue of refugee resettlement. The Kingdom of God, with its own missio Dei, is far more comprehensive than fairness or personal freedom. Christians, as a Kingdom colony here on earth, we have an allegiance that makes every other allegiance bow. Our allegiance is to a King whose Kingdom is gloriously larger than any nation, much less party in any nation. Now desperate, hungry, tired, and poor people made in the image of God are knocking on our doors. How shall we answer? The answer is made more complex when we soberly recognize that hidden among true seekers of a new homeland, is the smallest fractional presence of a few who would steal, kill, and destroy. But make no mistake, that same killing thief hides in our fear. There is One hidden among the poor that I would regret not welcoming.

Comments

Thanks for speaking truth.

I think I recently heard a sermon series titled "Foreigner".

Here is a link that simply lists 12 passages that discuss how Christians should treat immigrants, refugees and those in need of help.
http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/what-bible-says-about-how-treat-refugees

I personally find it easier to spout my opinion than to show hospitality. I notice that none of the passages discuss the value of my opinions on this matter.

Thanks again for speaking truth.

Popular Posts