Pondering Praise


Pondering Praise

1.  Praise is the effective weapon that stills and silences the enemy.  He is so disgusted by our praising God he flees.

You have founded a stronghold against your foes, •
that you might still the enemy and the avenger
Psalm 8

What do you think that "stronghold" is in the context of Psalm 8?

Yes! I think it is praise, a weapon I don't make enough use of. We are (I am) reactive when under attack (frig, amusement, defensiveness, fear, anxiety, fantasy, drink, etc..). God invited me in this Psalm to react in glorying in God, praise, worship. This boundary, the enemy dare not cross!

2.  Praise is faith bursting out of the trusting heart by way of vocal chords. Alleluia! Say it!

Psalm 148 
Alleluia.
Praise the Lord, O my soul:
while I live will I praise the Lord; •
as long as I have any being,
I will sing praises to my God.

Put not your trust in princes,
nor in any human power, •
for there is no help in them.

God seems to be on the theme of praise with me.

3.  A supplication or plea for some kind of rescue is also related to praise. A supplication is another way of saying, "God, I want to praise you for..." For instance, "God, I want to praise you for a miraculous peace in Syria."

Bring my soul out of prison,
that I may give thanks to your name. 
Refrain from Psalm 142

4.  Praise is a sign of a God-satisfied soul.

My soul shall be satisfied, as with marrow and fatness, •
and my mouth shall praise you with joyful lips. Psalm 63

5.  Out loud, verbalized praise is a missionary invitation for all to join in the victory of God.

‘Sing God’s praises, who has triumphed gloriously; •
let this be known in all the world.' Isaiah 12

Praise resources:
Besides the last Psalms from the Psalter (we studied Psalm 147 today), the church's Te Deum has served as a song of praise since AD 387!

Here is the translation from the Book of Common Prayer
We praise thee, O God :
    we acknowledge thee to be the Lord.
All the earth doth worship thee :
    the Father everlasting.
To thee all Angels cry aloud :
    the Heavens, and all the Powers therein.
To thee Cherubim and Seraphim :
    continually do cry,
Holy, Holy, Holy :
    Lord God of Sabaoth;
Heaven and earth are full of the Majesty :
    of thy glory.
The glorious company of the Apostles : praise thee.
The goodly fellowship of the Prophets : praise thee.
The noble army of Martyrs : praise thee.
The holy Church throughout all the world :
    doth acknowledge thee;
The Father : of an infinite Majesty;
Thine honourable, true : and only Son;
Also the Holy Ghost : the Comforter.
Thou art the King of Glory : O Christ.
Thou art the everlasting Son : of the Father.
When thou tookest upon thee to deliver man :
    thou didst not abhor the Virgin's womb.
When thou hadst overcome the sharpness of death :
    thou didst open the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers.
Thou sittest at the right hand of God : in the glory of the Father.
We believe that thou shalt come : to be our Judge.
We therefore pray thee, help thy servants :
    whom thou hast redeemed with thy precious blood.
Make them to be numbered with thy Saints : in glory everlasting.

[added later, mainly from Psalm verses:]
O Lord, save thy people :
    and bless thine heritage.
Govern them : and lift them up for ever.
Day by day : we magnify thee;
And we worship thy Name : ever world without end.
Vouchsafe, O Lord : to keep us this day without sin.
O Lord, have mercy upon us : have mercy upon us.
O Lord, let thy mercy lighten upon us :
    as our trust is in thee.
O Lord, in thee have I trusted :
    let me never be confounded.


Comments

Popular Posts