S.A.D.D. When Spiritual Attention Deficit Disorder is Untreated

Some days I feel more spiritual than other days. Today, not so much. I feel like gardening or rearranging my office or weeding out the books I haven't looked at in the 7.5 years I've been at Trinity. My mind is racing. My spirit is unsettled.

There are days I look forward to digesting the Moravian Daily Text. Hardly a day goes by when I don't pray the Matins service, and read a good portion of Scripture. Sometimes a song or hymn sweeps me away into the affectionate communion of the Trinity, and my own affections for Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are ignited.

Not today. Today I read the Matins service, and get to the end of the Venite (Psalm 95) and think, "Did I just read that, or was that yesterday?"

Nordis Christenson says that the difficult thing about the Christian life is "It's just so daily."

Prayer for a SADD day.
Lord, yesterday at the Altar you told me to lift up my heart to the Lord.
Today I say with the Psalmist, "My heart is not lifted up." (Psalm 131.1).
Please calm and quiet my soul like a weened child with his mother (Psalm 131.2).
Help me to hope in you (Psalm 131.3), even when I'm distracted, and have a delight deficit.
Thank you for your unchanging affections for me. Your Chesed means means everything to me.

Comments

Popular Posts