Poem on Matthew 14.22-33

Peter and I are so much alike
he water-walked and I rode a bike

We both ended prematurely
I on blacktop and he in the sea

But our crashes were not our demise
That had more to do with our eyes

All those things we started to notice
like parked cars or wind can blur our focus

We look inside and start all our thinking
I begin wobbling, Peter begins sinking

My problem's my preoccupation with me
Self-focus, self-improvement, selfishly

examining myself. I'm getting better
I'm getting worse. It doesn't matter

There He stands, speaking His word
"Come" and Peter just did what he heard

Like my dad who knocked on my door
said, "Lets ride a bike-get up off the floor"

And before I knew where I was going
the wheels on my bike were actually rolling

So trust the word of the One who does call
and holds out his hand even when you fall

Comments

Popular Posts