Wednesday in Advent

For over 30 years, men have showed up at 6am at the Prayer Chapel off Trinity's sanctuary for mutual conversation and consolation around the next Sunday's text (this week Matthew 1.6-11). We pray for each other, the sick, traveling missionaries, our families, and the congregation. We receive Holy Communion and a blessing. It was great to have the Guldseth brothers with us this morning. Many of the guys go to breakfast (I do too, when the kids are on break from school). These guys are the best, and they make preaching easier. They help me hear from the Lord better for the upcoming Sunday. More ears hear better.














Home for breakfast, then the daily office in the office.
Marilyn Pearce did a fantastic job filling in for Shelly today. She warmly welcomes official and unofficial business to the church office.












The women of Trinity meet at 9:30am in the Prayer Chapel for devotional thought, Holy Communion and prayer. They have been faithful intercessors for years. Where would we be without them?


















Property taxes are due this week for LA County, so I walked one block over to 8th (the only full-time 100% volunteer-run US Post Office in the country. The Assistance League of San Pedro runs it. I paid my taxes, and thought about St Matthew the Tax Collector. People must have been rough on him, much of the time deservedly. I pray for the businesses on 8th street regularly. I smell Polly Ann's Bakery early in the morning (and sometime eat there). I smell Shin Shin's at Noon (and sometimes eat there). I smell 710 Grille in the evening (and sometimes eat there). I talked to Nova who has a beautiful flower shop on 8th and Weymouth, and we talked about Christmas Eve service times (4 & 11pm).














I prayed for the property on 7th and Weymouth. Lord, do you have something for Trinity here? If so, how will you provide? We trust You!














I called back Principal Lukas Fitzgerald at Pacific Lutheran High School (www.PacificLutheranHigh.com). I was to do chapel today, but he postponed me a week, and my schedule is open, so I was glad to say "yes." It is always great to see Ashley and Michael and the staff, and the whole school there!

I had a great conversation with Darcie, our wonderful Children's Ministry gal. We are excited about some opportunities to make the Trinity Campus more kid welcoming and safe.

Lunch with Joy!

I started really mapping out the BELIEVING COURSE, which will be like a Beta after the Alpha course. Here are some of the resources I'm using.














I had to renew my passport which expired a year ago. I am going to Camrose, Alberta in January to teach the book of Acts at Canada Lutheran Bible Institute www.clbi.edu with Poul-Erik Norgaard my buddy and fellow elder at Trinity. PE is theologically trained in Denmark and receiving training at Fuller in the School of Psychology. I feel so honored to teach there. I got my passport pics taken at Fotoby at 25th and Western. This guy loves missionaries and helps our missionaries get their presentations set up for free or very reasonably.
Tonight we went to the Advent worship service at Christ Lutheran where so many of our kids from Trinity go to school. Tonight the 3-5th graders led the service. The 3rd graders are below. Good end to the day!

Comments

Joe Dapelo said…
Nathan,
I love the prayer and study ministry you have with the men. We've started something similar here with our men's property/maintenance group. They gather every Thursday morning to do work around the church (about 10 men in all)but first we gather around prayer and the upcoming readings and a short study on whichever text I'm preaching on. It has been both edifying and helpful to me as I prepare to preach. And it's just a great time with the men of the church.
Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts