Lost in Translation



We are getting close to the Olympics in China. Have you seen any of pictures of the signs in China with the funny English translations?
(If you enjoy these you can find more with a Google search on "chinglish".)

I am still working on my first language, so who am I to be critical? I have read that there are 300-500 million users or learners of English in China. This translates to more people speaking English in China than in the USA.

I am guessing that they may rely computer programs or web translation services to do their translation work. I say that because of this next photo:

When I saw this it brought to mind the question: "What translation of the Bible do my neighbors read?"

Not just the bibles that they may have and may even read....but the translation of God's Word that is lived out in front of them every day by my attitute, actions, inactions, words, and silence. Perhaps I should wear a sign that warns "translate server error". Better yet, I should go back to the source and work on getting the translator server (me) to do a more accurate translation.

What translation of the Bible do your neighbors read?

Comments

Popular Posts