Amazing Worship

We are so blessed in the area of worship leadership here at Trinity! I'm not just saying that because my wife is part of the worship leadership team. Some rambling thoughts...


  • There is so much that passes for Christian worship today. There is not just trite lyrics, some are downright bad.


Whatever it takes


That's what I'll do


I'd give anything to get back to you


I know I was wrong


I've made some mistakes


But I'm gonna do whatever it takes


Whatever it takes


I'm standin' here 'cause I've got nothing to
lose


I lost it all when I walked away from you


I swear this time around


I won't let you down



There is nothing you can do or give to get back to God. In
fact these words could only be on the lips of Jesus. "I have done and I
will do whatever it takes." Jesus is the only one who can bring us back to
God. Then the singer promises what he could never deliver. "I swear
this time around, I won't let you down." There is nothing in the Bible or
experience which says this is remotely possible. This song presents God as a Rock which we are able to scale. This is simply not God's nature, nor is it possible for us. If it were God wouldn't be that glorious, and we would deserve worship at the end of the day, and there would be no need for
Jesus. As it is, God is a Glorious Rock, the Holy One of Israel. We
fall woefully short, but the good news is that God the Glorious Rock, sent
forth, and sends forth, his only Son Jesus (who by the way is the stone that the builders rejected), but who has become for us the chief cornerstone. He came and he comes to us.


Thank God there are truly great new and old standards which point to the reality of God's character. They remove our gaze from our own flesh, and our hopeless attempts to perform, and point us to Jesus Christ, who said, "IT IS FINISHED."


One of those resources are the Gettys and Stuart Townend from across the pond. They consistently produce music that is fresh and completely embracing of the affections, and completely Jesus-saturated.


At Trinity we have been using In Christ Alone, See What a Morning (Resurrection), Speak O Lord, Power of the Cross, How Deep the Father's Love.

Check them out!

http://www.gettymusic.com/index.asp


Comments

Popular Posts