Help for Walking in Holiness

After 11 chapters of indicative grace, pure gospel promises, Paul has finally set an unshakable foundation for exhortation for the Romans. “I appeal to you therefore, family members, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” Romans 12.1.

To the Colossians, he put it even more succinctly, “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord [pure grace], so walk in him [by grace]. Colossians 2.6.

We just ended four weeks in a series about holiness, and I wanted to add a few practical thoughts about walking in holiness. Most Christians with a legalistic background are either allergic or addicted to talking about holiness. Most Christians with a radical gospel orientation get nervous when anyone brings up holiness. The Bible, and even the Apostle of grace, Blessed Saint Paul (who’s conversion we celebrate today), is neither allergic nor nervous about the subject of holiness. 

In my life, the actual daily walking out of God’s gift of holiness has been helped by a few regular practices.

Practicing repentance: Repentance is dynamic and daily (usually more than daily). We can become hard and sedentary and immovable and inflexible and refuse to turn from our disoriented perspectives and pleasures. Then the Word of God breaks into the lazy haze and graciously invites us to turn. “There is a better way, walk in it.” Being a king of your own kingdom is hell! Hearing the invitation of Jesus, “Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand” is heaven itself coming to you. Reading the Bible, and especially HEARING the Bible is the greatest help in practicing repentance.

Practicing community: God’s people for all their quirks and hurts are one of the greatest gifts in the life of holiness. They are God’s holy people, his one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church. Jesus’ church is contagiousness with holiness. I have many battlefields where this plays out, one of them is acedia (look it up). A while ago, Pastor Paul Anderson spoke such a clear and authoritative word to me personally, it sobered me of my despair. A few nights ago, it was settling in again, and Joy said, “Nathan, do I have to go ‘Pastor Paul’ with you?” It made me smile. The power of community! It really helped when Paul emailed me the next morning at 6 a.m. and wrote, “You shared with me…you have to fight against discouragement. How are you in that matter in this season?” I didn’t tell him anything! I spoke with him earlier in the week, and I was feeling great! God told him! God revealed it! Now, my isolated acedia was shown for what it was, powerless against the onslaught of God’s one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church. I have experienced and watched the same happen with sexual temptation and with gluttony and with all the other deadly sins. AA knows that isolation is death. We need to learn it too, holy church!


Practicing walking: Actual walking! I have found a half-hour walk in the morning has worked wonders for me spiritually. Thank God for Ruby, my dog, who is excited to walk when I am lagging. Breathing fresh air, and blood flowing, and attitude changing, and affections stirring, and community awareness growing, and selfishness killing, and endurance strengthening. My sedentary body is reflective of my sedentary soul. Walking has actually helped in the holy walk.

Comments

Popular Posts