8 reflections at the completion of 8 years at Trinity

8 reflections at the completion of 8 years at Trinity

1.  Call process:  It was not difficult to say "yes," when a member of the Trinity call committee asked, "We are making a list of potential candidates to serve as the next Senior Pastor at Trinity. Your name has been submitted. Would you be open to us considering you?"  On the one hand, it sounded harmless considering there were many names on that list.  On the other hand, we were very happy serving Solid Rock in Anoka, MN, and honestly couldn't imagine moving.  On the other hand (lots of hands), we wanted to be open to the Lord of the Church, and both Joy and I had a fondness for the Trinity congregation.  We thought the process had moved away from considering us, because we hadn't heard anything for some time, and we were surprised when we received communication that they were down to just a few candidates, and we were one of them.  
2.  Guidance:  When the actual big "C" Call came from the congregation, we received two important words of guidance.   One from Herb Hoff, my dad, who said, "Walk in faith!"  We preferred to put out a fleece (like Gideon), but my dad said, "Gideon isn't remembered for his faith, Abraham is.  Walk like Abraham."  Pastor Paul Anderson said, "In lieu of a clear "yes" or "no" from the Lord, say, "It is my intention to say, "Yes" on such-and-such a day, so make it clear before then if that is a mistake."  We said "Yes" enthusiastically.  And sadly, as we considered the Solid Rock congregation and the dear partners we love there.  But, God has provided for them a dear pastor and good growth.  He loves congregations more than we do!
3.  Transition:  Pastor Larry Christenson had served for 22 years during a very significant period of renewal in the whole church, and in the Trinity congregation.  Trinity was blessed to have Nordis and him back to serve in interim ministry 2004-2005.  I think most people thought this would be a fluid and easy interim.  He would be like a grandpa, they a well-loved congregation.  Pastor even mentioned that he was planning to catch up on some television during that year.  That didn't happen.  He spent the year on his knees.  All that was won in intercession, we will never know.  He also did the difficult work of solidifying Trinity's identity as a Lutheran congregation renewed by the presence of the Holy Spirit.
4.  Honor:  At Trinity's 90th Anniversary in October of 2011, I sat with Pastors Paul and Larry in our family room on the Monday following the celebration, and they mentioned that in their travels they rarely see the kind of welcome and honor given to previous pastors.  Often they see insecurity or attempts to have a regime change.  I mentioned that it is so good to have them come back to Trinity because, though they reminisce some, they mostly verbalize how they are so happy about what God is doing now at Trinity.  This feels so healthy.  Two months ago, Pr Christenson was back and preached at Trinity, and he asked that a current picture directory be sent to him, because he didn't want to forget names.  That is a pastor's heart.
5.  Change:  Early changes are easier than later changes.  We did some furniture moving, bulletin changing, Bible translation changing, team shifting, and other changes I'm forgetting now.  Change is always difficult, but more difficult the longer I'm here.  I don't know that all the early changes were essential, but like the old preacher I heard once say, "The first thing I do when I get to a new parish is paint the door red.  At least people will say, "Something new is happening there."
6.  Hard work:  Part of working hard for me comes from unhealthy insecurity and people-pleasing.  Part of it comes from gospel motivation and that the work of ministry is never done.  I don't regret working hard for the last 8 years, but realize that sustainability in ministry is seeing it, not as a sprint, but a marathon.  Every wise person in my life has told me this, and I have nodded in assent, and then disregarded it as advise for someone else.  I will continue to work hard, but I will also remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.  I want to make it to the finish line.
7.  Pastor as Sinner:  I received a beautiful framed gift yesterday from a treasured member and friend.  It listed 24 things a pastor is.  It was really encouraging, and so was the card that came with it.  If I could add a 25th important thing a pastor is, it would be "sinner."  I don't regret letting the flock know that their pastor is a real sinner, and not just a theological one.  I'm a dad and husband who makes a mess of things, sometimes on purpose.  I am selfish, and too easily manipulate, and have confessed nearly every week for years, that there is a toddler living inside of me that is more often than not, stomping his feet and demanding his own way.  Old Adam and old Nathan are drown in baptism, but are good swimmers.  The one hope that pastor and parishioner have are the same hope: JESUS!  I always say, "My favorite words to say, are my favorite words to hear: Be it done unto you as you have believed, in the name of Jesus Christ, He says to you--I forgive you your sins."  This reality allows me to ask forgiveness of people all the time.  I don't spend much time saving face and justifying myself, because I have been justified by grace as a gift (Romans 3.24).
8.  Team: Trinity has a pastor's wife who profoundly cares for the ministry.  She tears up when she plays "The Church's One Foundation" on the piano.  She loves the Lord of the Church, but she also loves the Church.  She loves reaching out.  When I picture Joy's stance, I see her back to any inside politics or matters pertaining to internal comfort, and wide open arms to kids, their families, to the vulnerable.  She always asks the question, "How will this affect the outsider?  What will this say to the guest?"  Joy is a gift to Trinity.  So is every other staff person (and their families), elder, council member, and ministry team.  Trinity is blessed with gifted and committed partners. 

Later in the week I will share 8 thanksgivings at the completion of 8 years.

Comments

Popular Posts